List of Banned Garden Chemicals – Useful and Dangerous Substances
Occasionally chemicals available for garden chemicals is out in the market. These situations happen because the government bans chemicals for use and sell. So, supermarket or gardening shop must follow this regulation or face a great amount of fine.
Chemical use in the garden can be for pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizer. It is also another sign to use chemicals in your garden seriously and monitor their component for any toxic measures. The UK and European Union (EU) are among the strictest country that banned chemicals for garden usage. The government requires approval for active ingredients used in all pesticides, including those for home garden use.
List of banned garden chemicals
The path to having a perfect lawn need to look at the government regulation about it. There are more than 80 garden sprays and weedkillers were banned because of stricter regulations on potentially harmful chemicals. Stores face high fines and manufacturer also face the same dilemma. It is no surprise there is a side effect to household chemicals plant growth that the government needs to ban them. Here is the list of banned garden chemicals :
- Bifenthrin, A chemical in product from brand Bayer Bug and Disease Killer, Doff All in One Garden Pest Killer, and Scotts Rose Clear 3, It uses for terminating various unwanted insects.
- Chlorpyriphos, it is a common chemical to take away vegetable root flies.
- Dimethoate, Doff Systemic Insecticide is the name of the manufacturer. This chemical is banned due to its toxic compounds. It is a hazardous chemical to sap-feeding insects
- Lindane, Many insects and disturbing pants product such as Doff Gamma BHC Dust, Doff Weevil Killer, and Doff Ant Killer contain this chemical. It serves as a soil fertilizer to destroy pests.
- Malathion, a chemical substance to take care of unwanted insects and mites that can damage plants.
- Permethrin, a chemical that you can see in Homebase All in One Insecticide brand. I mainly to overcome various insects.
- Pirimicarb, A substance to eliminate aphids. it is sap-sucking insects that cause a lack of plant vigor also it distorted plant growth. Some aphids transmit plant viruses which can be a problem on fruit and vegetables such as strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, dahlias, tulips, sweet peas, and many other plants.
- Pirimiphos-methyl, it is a glasshouse pests product that can pollute the soil in long-term usage.
- Resmethrin, a chemical to destroy houseplant insects.
- Rotenone, a substance in products such as Bio Liquid Derris Plus, Doff Derris Dust, Vitax Derris Dust that eliminate various leaf pests.
- Tar oils and tar acids, both compounds are useful to eliminate aphids eggs on fruit trees. It also acts as a disinfectant for vine weevil eggs.
These active chemicals show a significant damage for both soil and the human that come in contact with it. Therefore, it is critical for individual working with chemicals to understand the hazard. Some chemical act as fungicides to overcome fungus problems in gardens. However, it is very toxic then, later on, they are ban for garden usage. Some ingredients include:
- Carbendazim, a garden chemical as a solution for various plants diseases.
- Copper oxychloride, a highly important substance with vary of usage. It controls of celery leaf spot, peach leaf curl, potato blight, tomato blight, apple, and pear canker. Moreover, it manages a healthy bacterial canker of plums and cherries, rust on currants and gooseberries, cane spot on raspberries and loganberries. It also prevents damping-off and foot rot of seedlings of edible and ornamental garden plants.
- Copper sulphate, it is a strong garden chemical to damping off in seedlings.
- Copper sulphate plus hydrated lime (Bordeaux mixture) controls blight on potato and tomato, celery leaf spot, apple canker, bacterial canker on cherry and plum, peach leaf curl, and also blackcurrant and gooseberry rust.
- Difenoconazole, it can be found in a brand such as Westland Plant Rescue Fungus Control. it is liquid concentrate. It controls powdery mildew, rust, and blackspot on roses and rust and powdery mildew on fruit and vegetables.
- Mancozeb, that eliminates for various plant diseases.
- Penconazole, another garden chemicals to overcome diseases on roses an ornamentals
- Sulfur (Sulphur candle), A glasshouse fumigant to kill fungal spores on exposed surfaces. However, it has high pollution level in the soil. It is the main chemical in items such as Growing Success Deadfast Greenhouse sulfur candle. Sulfur is harmless in form of candles is a cleaning agent rather than pesticides.
- Sulfur (Green sulphur) it is a garden chemical to control of powdery mildew on various fruit, ornamentals, and vegetables. It is useful for treating molds in greenhouse staging, seed trays, and boxes.
- Sulfur (Yellow sulphur) it controls powdery mildew on various plants such as fruit, ornamentals, and vegetables. Moreover, it storages rots of bulbs, corm, and tubers.
- Thiophanate methyl, A liquid form chemicals to eliminate clubroot.
- Triforine and bupirimate, It specializes for rose usage.
3. Weedkillers, mosskillers and plant growth regulators
- Ammonium sulphamate, woody weeds, and stumps
- Atrazine, it treats unplanted ground and around established trees and shrubs. Europe bans this chemical but some other country like the USA still permit it. People come in contact with this substances can lead to health problems, menstrual issues, and cancer.
- Dichloroprop for lawn weeds use but proven to have a bad impact on human and animals.
- Diuron, gardener use this chemical to overcome weeds on hard surfaces
- Glufosinate ammonium, Its bad effect to the environment cause this chemical to be banned to garden usage.
- Paraquat, this garden chemical for weed in instant contact. Therefore people that use this substance is highly exposed to a dangerous substance. It causes an issue for any animals and human with a toxic problem such as lung, liver, kidney and heart damage.
- Simazine, it is useful to terminate unwanted weeds that hinder the flower and other plants. However, it is dangerous for any animals accidentally come in contact with this substance. Human also needs to be careful with this chemicals. it is so dangerous that some countries ban this chemical for use, import, export and sell.
- Sodium chlorate another garden chemicals that destroy weed but also destroy other plants, animals and have an effect on human.
- TBA (2,3,6-trichlorobenzoic acid) another garden chemical for lawn weed that receives a ban from the International usage.