What do you know about Indonesia and its agricultural industry? The vast Asian country has fertile soil that you can grow just about anything. Back in the good old days, it can even export rice to other countries.
Nowadays, Indonesia is facing not only food crisis where they need to import food source. There are many pesticides brands banned to circulate in the country.
Numerous and a long list of chemical manufacturing companies in Indonesia may violate their production permit. Several pesticides have long-overdue their permit.
With the high demand for harvesting crops quickly to meet consumer demand, chemical comes into action. Farmer use pesticides to make sure their crops grow healthy and able to harvest fast.
There are some concerns regarding the use of chemical for crops, especially pesticides. There are harmful effects of using chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
The two most used chemical in agriculture threated various farms from having harvest accordance the right time or breaking any law from the government.
- Noxone or Gramoxone. This is the chemical in spraying pesticides that often used by farmers. They often added adhesive substance to minimize the loss of pesticides when coming in contact with water or wind.
- No label pesticides. Small farmer to minimize cost use of cheap pesticides usually without label in small packages. Some popular brand includes Temix, Applaud and Furadan, which is also in a list of banned chemicals in Kerala.
- Expired permit. 8 pesticides had expired permits since 2005. Therefore, these chemicals are banned from production as well as for purchasing. Some of the pesticides are Lindomin, Rizotin, Confidor 350 WS , Sidas 50 EC, Corsair 100 EC , Metafuron 20 WP, Regent 50 EC and Roundup 486 AS.
- Temik or Aldicarb is one of pesticide that completely lost the licensed from the government. Therefore, the chemical is considered one of the harmful effects of chemical pesticides on human health which is the reason to received banned.
- Aldrin. Indonesia does not allow this POP pesticides ingredient to be distributed, stored, and use. It follow the chemicals banned under stockholm convention just like the majority of counties in the world.
- Dieldrin. based on the the Decree of Indonesian Ministry of Agriculture, the chemical is banned in Indonesia. This active substance is a deadly termite control that not only killed the pest, but also the surrounding area.
- Endrin. The chemical is not registered in Indonesia, therefore, Industries can not use them. the government does not approve these chemicals, then it is not wise to use them.
- Heptachlor: The chemical is not only banned in Indonesia but also in the list of banned chemicals in Malaysia, the neighbouring country.
- Toxaphene: for a very long time, since 1980 Indonesia has banned this chemical. Toxaphene is highly toxic, not only an instant solution for pest but also damages everything else.
- Any kind of Tributiltin chemicals which are tributyltin oxide, tributyltin fluoride, tributyltin methacrylates, tributyltin benzoate, and many more. The chemical and many of its combination is one of the most dangerous chemical in the worlds, according to the law. It is banned from production or even selling it.
- Sodium Chloride. The substance that has many sodium chloride uses is useful in general. But as material for pesticides, it receives a ban from the government.
- Dinitro-orto-kresol atau DNOC and chloride such as ammonium chloride, potassium chloride, and sodium chloride. it is one of the active substance in pesticides that also in the list of banned chemicals in Kenya.
- Alfa toluene chloride, and all of its combination, include alpha-Chlorinated toluene, benzal chloride, benzotrichloride, and benzyl chloride. All are banned in Indonesia along with other combination.
Indonesia continue to investigate various component inside pesticedes and determine weather certain chemical can be banned, restricted or just limited their usage.
The country continue to follow various International event regarding list of carcinogenic pesticides in agricultural industry to understand better of the new development and finding based on authentic data, which chemical are dangerous and which are not. The list above may add more chemical and the list will goes on.