A-Z List of Harmful Chemicals to Pregnancy – Things to Aware!
Woman come in contact with chemicals that is harmful in pregnancy more than men. From chemical ingredient in their cosmetics to products at home. Moreover, cleaning items have a high portion of harmful chemical inside it. However, there are also some chemicals that are safe for a pregnant woman.
There are some chemicals or organic chemicals that are safe for consumption during pregnancy. However, it is better to keep things, fresh and clean for daily usages rather than using chemicals which are harmful in pregnancy.
List of Harmful Chemicals to Pregnancy
A pregnant woman is vulnerable to exposure by chemicals. In certain stages in their life, there are times where woman need to pay more attention to chemicals they come in contact with. During pregnancy, a woman needs to look into every chemical ingredient substance in the various product that day use. These harmful chemicals may cause difficulty pregnancy or abnormal baby.
Here is a lit of chemicals harmful to the pregnancy.
- Chemicals in Cosmetics
During pregnancy, a woman is familiar with saying goodbye to wine, sushi, and ciggarete—but when it comes skincare and makeup, you need to scan over their chemical substances. Ingredient lists can be daunting, there is even listed of prohibited and restricted cosmetic ingredient from the FDA.
So, we did the research and listed several chemicals harmful for a pregnant woman. Avoid them for the next nine months (and a little longer if you’re planning breastfeeding) to avoid potential risks.
- Aluminum chloride hexahydrate: chemicals substances in antiperspirant, you also need to avoid aluminum chloride hexahydrate and Aluminium Aluminumrate.
- Beta hydroxy acids: It contains Salicylic acid, 3-hydroxypropionic acid, trethocanic acid, and tropic acid.
- Chemical sunscreens: Pregnancy woman need to avoid these substances include avobenzone, homosalate, octisalate, octocrylene, oxybenzone, menthyl anthranilate, and oxtocrylene.
- Diethanolamine (DEA): A dangerous compound in hair and body products; you also need to stay away from their branches chemicals such as oleamide DEA, lauramide DEA, and cocamide DEA.
- Dihydroxyacetone (DHA): This chemical is bad for respiration after inhaling. You can find it in spray self-tanners.
- Formaldehyde: A common substance in hair straightening, nail polishes, and eyelash glue product.
- Hydroquinone: and its other variations such as Idrochinone and quinol/1-4 dihydroxy benzene/1-4 hydroxy benzene. They are all acted as a lightening agent.
- Parabens: also keep away from propyl, butyl, isopropyl, isobutyl and methyl parabens.
- Phthalates: This compound is a toxic item in synthetic fragrances and nail polishes
- Retinol: Vitamin A, retinoic acid, retinyl palmitate, retinaldehyde, adapalene, tazarotene and isotretinoin, tretinoin.
- Thioglycolic acid: A hazardous chemicals in nail removal product
- Toluene: A substance in nail polishes which is extremely dangerous in daily life.
The fact is there are over than 12,000 chemicals in personal care products with 89% of them without any safety review report, especially for a pregnant friendly woman. That’s the list of harmful chemicals to pregnancy that all women should be aware!
- Synthetic Fragrance
Look for cleaner products, laundry detergents, and personal care products with labeled “fragrance-free”. Moreover, even if it is said to be “unscented” does not mean fragrance-free. The synthetic fragrance has many toxic chemicals, all of which are kept secret from consumers.
Common fragrance chemicals include phthalates that can cause reproductive and developmental harm. It also contains synthetic musks which break down the body’s defenses against other toxic exposures. Moreover, it also linked to increased risk of breast cancer. The safest way is turning to natural chemicals used in daily life resource than chemicals which is harmful in pregnancy.
There are list of organic chemicals which serves as a functional product around the house without any toxic chemicals. Pregnancy is related to family heritages and habit. Moreover, it is likely your mother and grandmother have some great green advice.
- Plastics containers
Chemicals substance in plastic items include Polyvinyl chloride (PVC), or better known as the poison plastic. This harmful chemical is an important substance in plastic products from toys and cookware to shower curtains. PVC cause hormone disruption, reproductive and developmental harm, and other health problems.
Canned foods and frozen food also bad for pregnancy. You need to consume a healthy and fresh ingredient. You need to look for products packaged in glass or lined cardboard instead of cans. Moreover, “BPA-free.” is the best solution. Bisphenol-A (BPA) is a safe compound in can liners and plastic products.
- Chemicals Traces
Chemicals can harm pregnant woman from contact with chemicals outside the house. That is why people working with chemicals need to be careful. You can bring dangerous pesticides compounds from your shoes. Dangerous coal tar can come from a driveway. The best way is to clean yourself after entering the house. You can avoid tracking in oils and chemicals from the street outside into your home.
Your cooking utensils like Teflon releases perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) when heated to 450 degrees. This chemical PFOA is also linked to developmental harm and cancer. It is safe to use them with heat below medium when using Teflon or non-stick cookware. Cast iron or stainless steel pans for cooking need to be avoided as much as possible. That’s the list of harmful chemicals to pregnancy that all women should be aware!
- Avoid exposure to paint
Preparing a newborn baby also means painting a new nursery room. Chemicals in painting can be very dangerous for a pregnant woman. You need to have other people painting to the room. In addition, you can choose a paint that contains a low or no VOC paint to lower the risk of toxic substances.
Paint can contain volatile organic compounds (or VOCs) which proven to be bad for health. Especially for a pregnant woman. This chemical has been linked to contributing to cancer and respiratory irritation. Even low or no VOC paint may still contain other chemicals of concern such as heavy metals in pigments, or preservatives to prevent mold growth.
There are so many chemicals used that is developing every day and you may not know every chemicals substance out there. Moreover, and you can only do the best that you can do given your individual circumstances. It is always good to consult with a doctor and use natural resources as much as possible. If you take care of your health, by getting good sleep, eating healthy, and exercise also goes along. In addition, it will surely boost your body’s defenses against toxic chemical exposure that can be hard to control.