A-Z List of Chemicals Used in Paint Production – The Substances
Paint production uses numerous chemicals to decorate, protect and prolong the life of natural and synthetic materials Moreover, it also acts as a barrier against environmental conditions. Therefore, the more reasons why Should Scientist Study the Effect of Chemicals on The Environment. Paints contain pigments, binders, extenders, solvents, and additive with using various chemical substances.
Chemicals in Paint Production
Paints production formulate in accordance with their proposed. Therefore, various chemicals differ in the process based on their usage. Here are some of the chemicals involved in paint production making process.
Binders in paints
The three most important binders (resins) in modern paints include acrylic polymers, alkyd polymers, and epoxy polymers. All chemicals act as resins based on various formulation. It is forming a matrix to hold the pigment of paint in place. Binder is the main ingredient of paints production with forming a continuous film on the substrate surface. It is responsible for good adhesion of the coating to the substrate.
1. Acrylic polymers
The binder in many emulsion paints has homopolymers or copolymers of ethenyl ethanoate (vinyl acetate) and a propenoate (acrylic) ester base. Moreover, Ethenyl ethanoate develops by passing a mixture of ethanoic acid vapor, ethane, and oxygen overheated palladium(ll) and copper(ll) chlorides.
Ethenyl ethanoate and an acrylic ester (for example, methyl 2-methyl propanoate) then copolymerized to form a random array. However, other acrylic esters in co-monomers with ethenyl ethanoate are ethyl propenoate, butyl propenoates, or a co-polymer of butyl propenoate and methyl 2-methylpropenoate.
2. Alkyd polymers
List of chemicals used in paint production – Decorative gloss paints typically contain this chemical substance which develops from polyols such as propane-1,2,3-triol (glycerol) with a dibasic acid such as benzene-1,2-dicarboxylic (phthalic) anhydride and a drying oil (linseed or soybean oil). Alkyd is derived from the combination of alcohol and anhydride. Once application of alkyd resin, the pendant oil drying groups react with oxygen in the air to form a cross-linked. Therefore, hard thermoset coating develops with a high molecular mass.
3. Epoxy polymers
Epoxy resins are a common binder in the coating industry. It gives the paint excellent adhesion together with high resistance to chemicals. Moreover, it prevents corrosion and physical resistance necessary, for example, on ships and chemical storage tanks. The epoxy polymers are made from 1-Chloro-2,3-epoxypropane and substituted phenols, such as bisphenol A.
This substance in pain production in form of solvents such as aromatic hydrocarbons, alcohols, ketones, and esters (solvent-borne paints) or as dispersions in water (water-borne paints) as true emulsions. In addition, they are not normally used in topcoats for outdoors because they are susceptible to UV degradation, however, they make excellent interior coatings and exterior primers.
4. Latex (PVA)
Vinyl polymer substances with free radical vinyl polymerization of the monomer vinyl acetate create latex. This binder in paint production process goes extremely well with other chemicals.
5. Phenolic resins
Thermosetting polymers forms after the reaction of simple phenol with aldehydes (eg. formaldehyde). This chemical has various usage include among substance in the List of Chemicals in Flu Vaccine and also List of Chemicals used in Embalming. Resins have a great binding effect.
6. Chlorinated rubber
This chemical goes through the polymerization process of the degraded natural rubber. This condition happens in the presence of atoms of chlorine participating in the cross-linking process. Aside from paint production other Use of Chlorine in Paper Making process. That’s the list of chemicals used in paint production.
Solvents of paints
A solvent is a medium where the binder, pigment, and additives combine in molecular form or as colloidal dispersions. In addition, It is also a great element to modified paint viscosity requirement for the application methods such as brush, roller, dip, spray. These chemicals are among the many solvents in paint production
- Xylene. This substance is a pure aromatic solvent. It has a benzene ring structure in its molecules
- Toluene. There is no question of what is Toluene used for in real life. Explosive, solvents, fuels, agriculture sector to a part of the coca-cola ingredient. It is another pure aromatic solvent with a benzene ring structure.
- Alcohols (n-butanol, isopropanol) are organic chemicals compounds that have a hydroxyl group bound to the carbon atoms of an alkyl group.
- Ketones. Is an organic solvents compound. In addition, it exists in the carbonyl group (C=O) that bound by atoms.
Pigment in Paints
Pain production involves using chemicals substances to create color. There are also Hazardous substances label color to paint productions. These chemicals also play a great role in the List of Chemicals used in Dyeing Industry. Here are some chemicals that contribute for getting the right color into your wall.
- Titanium Dioxide. (TiO2) a white synthetic inorganic pigment in two crystalline forms as rutile and anatase. Titanium dioxide has a high refractive index. Anatase form is photochemically active but provides a clear white color. Rutile form acts as a protection of paints from degradation by light.
- Anthraquinone. An organic pigment color that is mild in the applicant.
- Benzidine Yellows. The yellow-to-red organic pigments chemicals for interior applications. They are quite resistant in chemicals and stable at elevated temperatures.
- Chrome Oxide Green This chemical is responsible for an olive-green inorganic pigment with a high level of opacity. Moreover, Chrome Oxide Green is the most stable green pigment from all the rest.
- Phthalocyanine Blues They provide a wide spectrum of color by using this substance, you can get reddish-blue to yellowish-green. Moreover, The pigments are non-toxic.
- Carbon Black The pigment from organic materials (wood, bones) by having (thermal decomposition in a limited amount of Oxygen).
There is a saying “It takes a village to raise a child” and it goes the same with paint production, it takes a bunch of chemicals substance to have a successful paint production process.
All stages involve different kinds of chemicals and describe a number of substances that consist of a pigment in a liquid or paste vehicles such as oil or water. Many painting application such as a brush, a roller, or a spray gun, paint means applying in a thin coat to various surfaces such as wood, metal, or stone.