65 List of Chemicals Banned in California – Significant Exposures
Do you travel around U.S states a lot ? Ever caught by airport security because you accidentally do not knowing list of goods that is banned in the state ? Or you just curious what is forbidden in one state so you can prepare your trip carefully? If so, then you should read this list of chemicals banned in California.
California’s Proposition 65 is California rules to handle the exposure to toxic chemicals. Meanwhile, Proposition 65 was made to note the Californians about the harmful of significant exposures to toxic chemicals that can be the worse causes of cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. (Also read about Examples of Extremely Flammable Chemicals Around Us)
Also, the list of Proposition 65 chemicals is common used by the Californians in their workplaces or home, that is exposure to environment. (Also read about Harmful Chemicals in the Environment – Compound and Effects) Thus, Proposition 65 noted to inform people about the danger of chemicals exposures. (Also read about Usual Signs of Overexposure to Hazardous Chemicals Include)
Proposition 65 is also called as Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. The list of Proposition 65 is common chemicals, natural chemicals to the synthetic ones. The list of Proposition 65 chemicals is common used bu manufacturing and construction. Meanwhile, thus chemicals may cause birth defect and cancer.
There are four ways a chemical could be enlisted in Proportion 65 that are :
- Labor Code (LC), Incorporated with World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) , the list that has been enlisted in IARC will be also enlisted in Proportion 65
- State’s Qualified Experts (SQE), under the two commitees – the Carcinogen Identification Committee (CIC) and the Developmental and Reproductive Toxicant Identification Committee (DARTIC) – who meet up once a year to designated State’s Qualified Experts. This SQE later then evaluate the Proportion 65.
- Authoritative Bodies (AB), other than designated SQE the CIC and DARTIC also design and evaluate the Proportion 65
- Formally Required to be Labeled (FR), federal government or agency state also have policy in and right to labeled a certain chemical who caused birth defect and cancer thus the list they published also included in Proportion 65
The main purpose of this California’s law is to protect drinking water resources from toxic substances so, the people of California could live longer and healthier. (That’s the list of chemicals banned in California, also read about Harmful Chemicals Banned in Europe But Safe in the US)
So, these are some chemical that banned in California :
- Acrylamide, this chemical is enlisted by AB-IARC, AB-US EPA, AB-NTP-CERHR, AB-NTP-CERHR for potentially caused cancer, developmental toxicity and male reproductive toxicity. Even though it is banned to be used widely it is still used under allowable usage that is 140 µg/day. Acrylamide is used in wastewater treatment, gel electrophoresis, ore processing; chemical intermediate in dyes and fabrics; decay product of polyacrylamide in commercial herbicides.
- α-Methyl styrene (alpha-Methylstyrene), is a Labor Code listed chemical by WHO International Agency. Known for potentially causing cancer, and female reproductive toxicity. Its usage is banned at certain level, and only can be used by certain permit by government.
- Amikacin Sulfate, enlisted under FR this chemical is one of chemical that usage is not for widely used. In certain usage this chemical is allowed for medicine but not allowed to be carried out by common people.
- Amantadine Hydrochloride, is one of amongs chemical that is listed as hazardous chemical thus its usage is prohibited to be used widely because this chemical is potentially cause reproductive toxicity. However at certain level of usage it is used for NMDA-receptor antagonist, antiviral; treatment for influenza, Parkinson’s disease, and shingles.
- Benzphetamine Hydrochloride, under supervision of government even though it potentially caused reproductive toxicity it is used as medicine to induce weight loss.
- Cadmium, has potentially cause cancer with inhalation unit risk of 4.2 E-3. This chem is listed under SQE. This chem is allowed to be used at very little dose level at maximum 4.1 µg/day. Cadmium mostly used in Rechargeable batteries, corrosion-resistant electroplating, barrier to control neutrons in nuclear fission, alloys, dental amalgams, plastic (PVC) stabilizer; production of pigments, television phosphors, photoelectric cells, electronics, fungicides, photography and lithography; component of tobacco smoke
- Chloroform, maybe among other chemical enlisted this chemical sounds more familiar as it mostly mentioned in TV shows or movie. The chloroform also potentially cause cancer, and reproductive toxicity. This chemical is used in various way such as solvent, reagent, production of dyes, pesticides, chemical intermediate, component of tobacco smoke.
- Cyclophosphamide (Anhydrous), the other forms of this chemical are 1-bis(2-Chloroethyl)amino-1-oxo-2-aza-5-oxaphosphoridin, Cytophosphane, Cytoxan, Endoxan, Genoxal, NSC 26271, Procytox, Sendoxan. This chemical is used in defleecing sheep and Medicine (antineoplastic and immunosuppressive). This chemical listed by LC because its potential to cause cancer.
- Danazol, is listed by FR basis for its potentially causing cancer. In certain amount of dosage it can be used in medicine (modified progestogen, treatment for endometriosis).
- Dacarbazine, synonyms with DIC; (Dimethyltriazeno)imidazolecarboxamide) DTIC; NCI-C04717; NSC-45388; 5-(3,3-Dimethyl-1-triazenyl)imidazole-4-carboxamide is used as medicine to antineoplastic. This chemical listed under FR basis listing for causing cancer . it can be used under 0.01 µg/day.
(That’s all list of chemicals banned in California, also read about List of Chemicals Banned in Canada)
So, those are ten chemical banned in California. By banned it does mean you need certain permit from certain authorities for a certain purposes. There are more chemical included in the list, which contain more than 800 chemicals.
But here are the other 30 chemical of the chemical banned in California :
- A-alpha-C (2-Amino-9H-pyrido[2,3-b]indole)
- Abiraterone acetate
- Acetohydroxamic acid
- Acifluorfen sodium
- Actinomycin D [Basis for listing changed effective February 22, 2013]
- Actinomycin D
- Alcoholic beverages, when associated with alcohol abuse
- All-trans retinoic acid
- Allyl chloride Delisted October 29, 1999 [Click here for the basis for delisting]
- Aloe Vera, non-decolorized whole leaf extract
- Amantadine hydrochloride
- Amikacin sulfate
- 4-Aminobiphenyl (4-aminodiphenyl)
That’s the list of chemicals banned in California. In the late of 80’s to be precised is in 1986, California voters grew concern in the use of toxic chemical, thus in the same year it was approved a draft called Proposition 65 that mainly is about the list of toxic chemicals that will caused cancer. In 1987 the list publish and then the once a year list updated it list to approximately 800 since.