You will be very displease after knowing the fact that goods producer use harmful chemicals in their goods making process. But you will be more displease knowing that those products are products that commonly used by yourself or your family. Of course these harmful chemical do not directly cause harm but potentially slowly will bury you alive with their toxicity.
Their toxicity could cause very severe decease such as cancer to reproductive toxicity. In California U.S.A the government issued list of chemicals banned in California so the goods or service producer should warn their consumer of the harm of their harmful chemical usage in the product. This chemicals are also called as carcinogen that is any substance, radionuclide, or radiation that promotes carcinogenesis, the formation of cancer.
We surely want to know what are the chemicals we should avoid, better understanding of the chemicals we should avoid will make us better in choosing the right product to use. That is why we gather list of chemicals known to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity below:
The shocking fact about styrene which is the main substance that form our daily styrofoam product made us realize how big is the exposure we already had in our body. Styrene which also known as ethenylbenzene, vinylbenzene, and phenylethene is a chemical compound with formula of C6H5CH=CH2.
Styrene is one of the most biggest carcinogen that used in daily product even though it is clearly stated that this chemical potentially cause cancer in case of eye contact, inhalation and ingestion due to its function as carrier box and other functions there are approximately 25 millions tonnes of styrene were produced in 2015. According to different sources high exposures of styrene would cause blood cancer, and lymphoma cancer.
As well ass styrene this organic compound also known to cause cancer. This compound is mostly used in textile industries and plastic industries as preservative agent. With formula of CH2O (H-CHO) this chemical is banned from use of several application like liquid cooling system, slimicides, metalworking fluid and antifouling.
3. Aristolochic acids
One of the chemical derived from plant and mostly used in herbal product to treat gout, inflammation, and also rheumatism however this chemical is included as carcinogenic, mutagenic, and nephrotoxic phytochemicals. The FDA has issued warning regarding the use of this chemical with chemical formula of C17H11NO7 .
The highly exposure of this chemical will cause reproductive toxicity and cancer in form of uroepithelial tumorigenesis, and is linked to urothelial cancer.
4. 2-Mercaptobenzothiazole (MBT)
The use of this chemical in rubber industries is inevitable. This chemical used to result a stronger product of rubber. With chemical formula of C7H5NS2, World Health Organization has confirmed that this chemical is included as a potential human carcinogen in 2016. People with high exposure of this chemical have bigger risk to colon cancer and myeloma cancer than other people who do not.
5. Perfluorocarbon (PFC)
Also known as Fluorocarbons unluckily can be found in our kitchen utensil. This chemical is used as anti-stick coating on kitchen utensil. According to some sources this chemical has things to do with woman speed-up of woman menopause. In research of Virginia West University U.S.
It is found that there is strong relationship between woman menopause and the exposure of PFC. Because of its harm, several big manufacturer like 3M and Du Pont has signed a pact not to use this chemical anymore in their product since 2002. You may also read about Chemicals in Cigarettes that Cause Cancer
Even though it is still safe to have this chemical at certain level, it is reported that this chemical potentially cause breast cancer. This chemical could destroy hormones functions that cause early puberty which become one of the causes of breast cancer. Due to this harm in 2012 United State’s FDA banned the use of BPA(the other name of Bisphenol-A) on baby bottles.
The bad effect of BPA is not stop there, this chemical shown has relation with endocrine disrupting, obesity, and binding thyroid hormones. When high exposure of BPA happen in uterus it is associated on poor behavioral outcomes in humans like higher levels of anxiety, depression, hyperactivity, and aggressive behavior on children.
This chemical is widely used as pesticide. With chemical formula of C10H9Cl4NO2S this chemical is already known as the hazardous chemical for food which mean the usage of this chemical at any level on food is banned since 2006 when Environmental Protection Agency banned and disallowed its previous usage exception. Otherwise, it is still allowed to use this hazardous chemical at 0.1 mg/m3 for dermal exposures.
Commonly used in plastic industries to increase product flexibility, transparency, durability, and longevity. Scientific review shows that esters is plausibly endocrine disruptors, and also potentially can become anti-androgenicity in adult men. Due to its harm this chemical is restricted for use in children toys since 1999.
This pyrrolizidine alkaloid class chemical originally found in Senecio, a plant that grows on United States America. Laboratory research found high exposure of this chemical is more likely have bigger risk to liver cancer and leucemia when it is experimented on mice and rat.
10. Cobalt-tungsten carbide
This chemical is used as cutter or grinder some products for industries used. This chemical application is including in areas of ammunition, mining, nuclear and other areas. Inhalation the dust of this solid chemical associated with Fibrosis and cancer.
More Substances that Might Cause Cancer and Exposure
According to American National Toxicology Program there are groups of chemical that known to cause cancer with rank of the group from certainly carcinogen to probably not carcinogen.
The list below is 30 of the list of chemicals known to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity:
- Acetaldehyde (from consuming alcoholic beverages)
- Acheson process, occupational exposure associated with
- Acid mists, strong inorganic
- Betel quid, with or without tobacco
- Bis(chloromethyl)ether and chloromethyl methyl ether (technical-grade)
- Cadmium and cadmium compounds
- Coke production
- Engine exhaust, diesel
- Epstein-Barr virus (infection with)
- Etoposide in combination with cisplatin and bleomycin
- Fission products, including strontium-90
- Fluoro-edenite fibrous amphibole
- Haematite mining (underground)
- Helicobacter pylori (infection with)
- Hepatitis B virus (chronic infection with)
- Ultraviolet (UV) radiation, including UVA, UVB, and UVC rays
- Ultraviolet-emitting tanning devices
- Vinyl chloride
- X- and Gamma-radiation
Meanwhile, that’s all the list of chemicals known to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity. We might be careful with those list and always aware when we use any products with chemicals compounds.
You may also read about:
- Harmful List Of Banned Food Additives In Many Countries
- Harmful Chemicals in Vapor That May Kill You
- Harmful Chemicals in Cosmetics Products
Chemicals Exposure Alert
There are several ways to shield our self from this chemicals exposure such as :
- Workout, with the exposure of many harmful chemicals, applying healthy lifestyle such as having regular exercise will decrease the level of toxicity harm as the immune system will be strengthen. Not only having healthy body you might also gained a great body figure from applying this.
- Hygiene food, today even the most natural food like fruits and vegetables are still at risk of harmful chemicals due to the usage of pesticide. That is why it is so important to clean those foods not only using water but also soaking it in white vinegar solution. This solution will purify the fruits or vegetables from pesticide.
- Avoid, in accordance to decrease the exposure of harmful chemicals known to cause cancer and reproductive toxicity, the best way is to decrease the usage of those chemicals. Start with not using chemical substance in house, and for gardening.
This small but significant act will surely decrease your risk of harmful chemical exposure.